APF 2k8 PS3 Roster updates (with super edit that explains how to use BF)

MightyRx

Rookie
With KingJavo hooking us up with a working version of the editor
, let's collaborate to create an NFL roster for this upcoming season.
Any PS3 users interested?

Super edit-
With all the new PS3 users expressing interest, I'm adding some info to help out.

Things you need-
A PS3 user data save.
Brute Force save data
APF editor version 0.1.7.0

Once you boot up BF (brute force), a screen will pop up (cheat repository) asking if you want to update cheats. Since there's no need, "x" out of that screen.

BF will then load up.

If a smaller window opens up (global settings), x out of that window.

If another window opens up (configure template), click yes if you have your PS3 save ready.
Navigate to where your PS3 is and double click the param.sfo file.
Enter a name. Any name will suffice.

To the right of BF's address are ellipses (...). Click on them to find the save file you want BF to decrypt.

Under the address bar, the file you selected will show.

Double click on the file so BF can "recognize" it.

Click ok.

Give it a sec.

Once the file is recognized, click on "Decrypt PFD"and select "Decrypt All Files".

Click yes.

The bottom left area should turn green.

The file is ready to be used in the editor.

After you open the editor, click on "file" and "open".

Get to where your save should be.

In the bottom right corner, where it says "APF save game (*.ros)", click on the down arrow and select all files.

Double click on user data.

It should load into the editor.

Once you're done editing, return to BF, click on "ENCRYPT PFD"and select "ENCRYPT DECRYPTED FILES".

Click yes.

The green area should return to white.

Your file is ready for your PS3.

PS. Always back up your work whenever you go from PS3 to PC.

Can't tell you the number of times I made changes in the editor only for it to not work in the PS3 and have to start completely over.

Last edited by a moderator:

MightyRx

Rookie
This is quite an undertaking
I'm currently going through each team to determine which play 4-3 and 3-4 and which are grouped into the same divisions so it kind of resembles the league.
Stay tuned...

MightyRx

Rookie
I have all the divisions down.
The NFC North and AFC South were left out. (sorry!)
About to start customizing the cpu teams into their NFL counterparts...

I tried doing a file back when the PS3 capabilities were added but got a bit burned out with other game(s) I was editing at the time.

This is quite an undertaking
I'm currently going through each team to determine which play 4-3 and 3-4 and which are grouped into the same divisions so it kind of resembles the league.
Stay tuned...
I'm not sure if this works 100%, but if you take USER control one of the CPU teams, you can edit their playbook in-game (so you can change defensive front). And when you turn them back to CPU control I'm pretty sure the playbook changes stick. Only problem is that any created teams or teams under user control will have that playbook too. I'd have to test it again to make sure it works and my memory is right. I'll get back to you when I can.

MightyRx

Rookie
Whenever I try to gain user control of cpu teams, it won't allow me.
It allows me to relinquish control of the a team, but it won't let me reassume control...

The editor is a little finicky. Try to put all your teams to CPU control, save and close the file and/or editor. Open it back up and try selecting one of the CPU teams and it should work that way.

MightyRx

Rookie
The editor is a little finicky. Try to put all your teams to CPU control, save and close the file and/or editor. Open it back up and try selecting one of the CPU teams and it should work that way.
Gill, it worked like a charm.
Now, about to get into team builds.
Do Madden ratings work for APF?

steelers99

Rookie
How are you renaming players? As a preface I'm using 1.0.1.0 and I can switch to 0.1.7.0 if necessary. But I rename players based off current names in the game and it gets overwritten with other strings of characters. I will change the name of my punter to represent Brad Wing of the Steelers for example, save and reload the roster and his name is now Brad er.

I can change player types into created and re-name them in game but that only solves the issue for user teams. When I do that for a CPU team the game freezes as soon as I go into the edit player menu.

There's gotta be something I'm missing here. Hopefully you guys can help me out. Thanks in advance.

Was this a clean file? Did you make changes in offline mode, then change to online mode? That's the only thing I can see messing up names.

steelers99

Rookie
Was this a clean file? Did you make changes in offline mode, then change to online mode? That's the only thing I can see messing up names.
I'll try a clean file. I re-installed 0.1.7.0 and renamed most of the players offline but it screws with in game players. Too Tall Jones just turned into Pen Jones.

Now that you mention it, I remember editing the Bucs and Johnthan Banks turned into Too Tall Banks. This was in online mode, so I'm not sure what the deal with that was. But other than that I didn't see anything that you were describing with just parts of names. Try a clean file and/or the older version and see if that works.

steelers99

Rookie
Now that you mention it, I remember editing the Bucs and Johnthan Banks turned into Too Tall Banks. This was in online mode, so I'm not sure what the deal with that was. But other than that I didn't see anything that you were describing with just parts of names. Try a clean file and/or the older version and see if that works.
I got it Gill. In the editor whenever you would want to rename a player on a CPU team in game -- I don't want to do it in the editor because it overwrites players names with strings of characters -- you would have to make a legend player type into a created so you can rename the player in game so it doesn't overwrite other strings of text. However when doing this with a CPU in the 1.0.1.0 version of the editor it would freeze the game once you went to the edit player screen in game. In the 0.1.7.0 version of the editor however this is not the case. You can rename the player and it will show up on their respective team.

If the editor can somehow replicate the naming of a created player in game -- because it seems that whenever you name a created player in game it adds data to the game that wasn't previously there -- then the issue with names being overwritten with various strings of characters will no longer persist in the naming process within the editor. Right now the most viable option that I can see to fully edit a roster in this game is to set all players on a team as created players, and it must be done with the 0.1.7.0. and then rename them in game and edit attributes and gear in the editor. I'm going to try this out while anticipating future issues.

EDIT: Never mind I have come across the same exact issue. I really don't understand how this game works.

Last edited:
EDIT: Never mind I have come across the same exact issue. I really don't understand how this game works.
Haha, yeah. I think Javo said there was some issues with renaming players in offline mode, so @MightyRx if you want to be on the safe side, go with online mode.

With my test file I did awhile back, I was able to edit CPU teams with no name errors. Once again that was in online mode. So I guess technically I was just swapping names and not overwriting names.

steelers99

Rookie
Haha, yeah. I think Javo said there was some issues with renaming players in offline mode, so @MightyRx if you want to be on the safe side, go with online mode.

With my test file I did awhile back, I was able to edit CPU teams with no name errors. Once again that was in online mode. So I guess technically I was just swapping names and not overwriting names.
I finally got it. This is with the 0.1.7.0 version. What you have to do is change a players team history to NONE then reload the file. What this does is it removes team history and biographies from the players in the file so there is so much free room without those things so now you have free range over all player names.

steelers99

Rookie
I finally got it. This is with the 0.1.7.0 version. What you have to do is change a players team history to NONE save the file then reload it. What this does is it removes team history and biographies from the players in the file so there is so much free room without those things so now you have free range over all player names.

MightyRx

Rookie
The Broncos are done...kinda.
The Stars are done.
The generics aren't yet.
The breakdown for the Broncos is:
Gold Peyton Manning
Gold Demaryius Thomas
Gold Von Miller
Gold AqibTalib
Silver Emmanuel Sanders
Silver DeMarcus Ware
Silver Chris Harris Jr.
Silver T.J. Ward
Bronze Owen Daniels
Bronze Derek Wolfe
Bronze Britton Colquitt

I'm beginning to work on the Raiders to match them up against the Broncos.
I need a similar team to test the ratings I'm using.
If anyone wants to the file I'm working on , let me know...

King Javo

King of APFe
Staff member
Would someone mind posting a 1 created team default PS3 Roster file? I'm trying to get the latest editor version to work with the PS3 and this would be a big help. Thanks! :finger:

steelers99

Rookie
Would someone mind posting a 1 created team default PS3 Roster file? I'm trying to get the latest editor version to work with the PS3 and this would be a big help. Thanks! :finger:
Sorry don't have the file (Xbox 360 here). But could it be possible to add back the offline mode with the full player name editing since the solution to player names being overwritten is solved with this: "What you have to do is change a players team history to NONE save the file then reload it. What this does is it removes team history and biographies from the players in the file so there is so much free room without those things so now you have free reign over all player names."